ViCo: Structural Seismic Vibration Control (2006-2017)
Advances in structural engineering design have addressed the limitation of the buildings’ inherent ability to dissipate seismic energy, as cost rises exponentially with the vibration requirements. Therefore, earthquake damping technologies have been introduced as a means to mitigate ground motion effect on structural response. This alternative is cost effective and more flexible in terms of re-configuration, as the urban environments advance toward smart cities, as interconnected systems of systems that are both complex and large scale.
During this project several studies were performed, including control systems for base isolation, electrohydraulic and magnetorheological dampers, etc. with the purpose of reducing the vibrations of structures during earthquakes. Please see publications for more details.
Project leader Monica Patrascu
Associates & Past Students Bachelor students: Sorin Ujeniuc, Ancuța Mone, Mihai Ionașcu
This project was conducted, between 2006 and 2008, as part of the research team led by prof. Petru Patrut, on the development and implementation of control systems for electrohydraulic dampers for seismic vibration, Technical University of Civil Engineering of Bucharest, Romania.
Between 2007 and 2011 this project was part of Dr. Patrascu’s doctoral research and thesis, for which the supervisor was Prof. Ioan Dumitrache, Ph.D.
This project has ended.
- Patrascu M. 2018 – Design of Semi-active Seismic Vibration Controllers using Fuzzy Logic and Evolutionary Optimization, Soft-Computing-Based Nonlinear Control Systems Design (Eds. U.P.Singh, A.Tiwari, R.K.Singh), Series Advances in Computer and Electrical Engineering (ACEE), pp. 18-43, 26 pagini, IGI Global, dx.doi.org/10.4018/978-1-5225-3531-7.ch002
- Patrascu M., Ion A. 2015 – Seismic Vibration Control with Semi-active Dampers (book, in Romanian), Matrix Rom, Bucuresti, ISBN 978-606-250-151-8
- Patrascu M. 2015 – Genetically enhanced modal controller design for seismic vibration in nonlinear multi-damper configuration, Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part I: Journal of Systems and Control Engineering, vol. 229, is. 2, pp. 158-168, dx.doi.org/10.1177/0959651814550540
- Patrascu M., Dumitrache I. 2012 – Hybrid Geno-Fuzzy Controller For Seismic Vibration Control, Proceedings of the UKACC International Conference on Control 2012, Cardiff, United Kingdom, ISBN 978-1-4673-1560-9, pp. 52-57, dx.doi.org/10.3182/10.1109/CONTROL.2012.6334605
- Patrascu M., Dumitrache I., Patrut P. 2012 – A comparative study for advanced seismic vibration control algorithms, UPB Scientific Bulletin, Series C: Electrical Engineering, vol. 74, is. 4, pp. 3-16
- Patrascu M. 2011 – Advanced Techniques for Seismic Vibration Control, Ph.D. Thesis, Dept. of Automatic Control and Systems Engineering, University Politehnica of Bucharest.